Saturday, April 28, 2007

"He ain't Heavy, He's my Father!" or, why you should help me with my quota

The Chinese Theater Group cantonese production will be starting their show, "新难兄难弟" or "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father!" will be hitting the Union House Theater on the 4th (friday), 5th (saturday), 10th (thursday) and 11th (friday) of May. Each show starts on 7pm, while the 5th has 2 shows per day, one of them on 2pm and the other at 7pm. And before you ask, no, i'm not appearing on stage this time. I was supposed to cameo as a butcher, but that somehow flopped. You can get tickets from me (and only me! mwahaha). The price is 11 dollars for C-group members, and 13 dollars for normal students.


Despite my ringing endorsement, i have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, i've not exactly been coping with the demanding time commitments one has to shell out for a production like this. Granted, i should have known it when volunteering myself to be the Sets assistant. Somehow i didn't expect every weekend to be gone, devoted to the theater production. I haven't been a good assistant leader. I have to admit that halfway through the production, i got fed up about my weekends being not my own. I discovered that i can be quite a private person, i need time for myself. Which is the reason why this will be my last production. Its a nice show, but i didn't get a good experience out of it.

But, on the other hand, the production is good. I've seen the rehearsals, seen the costumes, the props, the make up. As for the sets, i know they are good, because i had a hand in making them. Given what we had, the stuff we made are bloody good. If you watch the show, you might want to know that we made the bloody double decker bed, the street sign, and we slaved away at the various backgrounds. I may not be happy about my lost time, but i can appreciate what we did. Take the praise with a grain of salt, but i genuinely think it is a good show. This is reason number one why i am trying to sell tickets.

Reason number two i am selling tickets: I'm a Malaysian, and this show practices the Malaysian National Pasttime: Piracy. We basically stole the plot from a hong kong movie, revamped it a little, and bring it to you in flesh and blood. Its like, "新难兄难弟-3D". I highly approve.

And the third reason is: The ticketing manager is breathing down my neck. Seriously. Heres an advice to all production groups (coughCMGcough): get an angry looking , persistant and evil person as your ticketing manager (evil is optional though recommended). I know the ticketing manager before, but she seriously scares me when she goes into Ticketing Manager Mode.

On another note, i feel this sadistic thrill whenever CMG asks CTG for advice on production stuffs. Just proves how much more superior we are. Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Ahem. You didn't hear that.

2 comments:

sciurine said...

Hey! I hope the production is going down well! My apologies for not making an appearance this time, running short on cash and got waay too much on my plate 'cause of the ever-exhausting clinics!

G'luck.

Jingo said...

Interesting name for a play...

I love that line about Malaysia's national past time being piracy! Personally, I think the Chinese do it better!